Component Supply's stock of nylon and polyester mesh filter screening is available in a variety of sizes that take into consideration the mesh opening, open area, mesh count (threads per inch) and thread diameter. Widths for the lineal yard range from a minimum of 40 inches up to 60 inches depending on mesh size and stock. Nylon opening sizes range from 7 microns to 1920 microns and polyester mesh ranges from 13 to 810 microns. Nylon monofilament, woven mesh material is nylon 6/6 and possesses effective abrasion and alkali resistance. The softening point is between 170°C and 230°C and the melting point is between 210°C and 250°C. Some Component Supply customers have successfully autoclaved this material; however, polyester mesh is recommended for most applications involving autoclave sterilization. Polyester mesh is also a monofilament, woven material that is corrosion and moisture resistant, durable and elastic. The softening point is between 220°C and 240°C and the melting point is between 250°C and 260°C. The fibers, woven to tight tolerances, create a uniform pore size, exceptional strength and dimensional stability. Polyester mesh is generally preferred over nylon mesh for most applications involving autoclave sterilization.
Markets & Applications ▼
- Aerospace: Both nylon and polyester mesh are used for fuel and oil filtration in aerospace. Often the mesh will be pleated and used as a cartridge filter to provide more surface area to compensate for any restriction in flow.
- Appliances: Both nylon and polyester mesh are used be used in appliance filters, such as refrigerators, dryers, etc. Many of these filters incorporate the mesh in an injection molding process when manufacturing the actual filter.
- Aquaculture: Polyester mesh products have use in growing, feeding, separation and trapping applications in fish farms, sea farms, fish hatcheries, catfish farms, shrimp farms, oyster farms, clam farms and others. Some nylon mesh sizes have been used for substrates for starting oyster beds.
- Entomology: Researchers primarily use nylon mesh to keep insects contained during studies.
- Laboratory: Both nylon and polyester mesh are used in various laboratory applications. Nylon mesh is used to make biopsy bags to store specimens, and polyester is used in filtering tests that involve more acidic substances.
- Water Filtration: Polyester screening is particularly effective in applications dealing with water filtration including waste water treatment, domestic water filtration and aquaculture. Nylon is used as well, but long exposure to water can cause the nylon to become brittle.
- Medical: The healthcare industry provides numerous applications for nylon mesh such as infusion and transfusion filters, micro-aggregate filters, arterial and venous filters in oxygenator reservoirs and blood bags. The smooth, soft surface, tighter tolerances, dimensional stability and strength make nylon mesh ideal for other medical and diagnostic applications as well.
Custom Fabrication & Contract Manufacturing ▼
Component Supply offers precision cutting of custom mesh discs and other shapes and welding for applications requiring bags.
Quality, Compliance & Regulatory ▼
Permeable cloth products (except black coated) currently supplied by Component Supply are manufactured from 100% Dacron polyester and/or 100% nylon and have not been treated with chemicals that would be harmful to humans by food contact. Permeable cloth products undergo purely mechanical operations with material compounds that meet Code of Federal Regulations 21CFR177.1590 (a) to stiffen the material. Lubricants used on the manufacturing machinery meet FDA REG 21CFR178.3570, with the exception of the discs.
Mesh Product Pages ▼
Related Product Pages▼